Saturday, April 16, 2011

Mini Book "Love Through the Years"


It feels so good to be back in blogging land again.  These past few weeks have been a bumpy ride  on the health front.  My husband was in the hospital once again for a week due to fluid accumulation in his lungs and abdomen. But now he is feeling better than ever and I consider myself to be one happy and lucky girl to have such a strong trooper like him by my side. The very first time I met my husband, he had mentioned to me that he had been a two time cancer survivor. And right then I knew that any man who could kick cancer in the butt  was a man that I needed by my side. I still admire his spirit and positivity through cancer. I have never once seen him feel sorry for himself. He continues to get up each morning and go to work. He jokes a lot, laughs a lot, and never worries. Inspirational, that is what he is to me and always will be.

 While I was driving home from the grocery store one day. I began to think of my relationship with my husband over the three years that we have been married. I realized that each year of marriage has taught me so much about love, life, and my own being. I wanted a way to document the lessons that I have learned along the way and that is how this idea for a mini book got started.   



I decided that I would choose 5 pictures from each year that we were married to include in the album. 


I also decided that I would place the more personal journaling inside of these Kraft envelopes and I would pick words that to me really encompassed our marriage and lessons learned for that year on my journaling block.


 I placed the corresponding year at the top of my page next to the photo collage.


Half way through this project my ADD self got tired of working with the same papers and embellishments. (I tend to start projects and then have a hard time finishing them) Not quite sure why that is? But I pushed through it anyways.


I also realized that I have done a terrible job of documenting our lives till this point. I must make a more concentrated effort to take more pictures and scrapbook more.


Year three was the biggest challenge for me to push through because, quite frankly, it has been a year that has revolved around cancer. Sometimes I find myself only wanting to focus on the good memories and ignore the memories that hurt a little. I guess this is a natural tendency. But ironically, the adjectives that I found to describe this year of marriage were far more profound and meaningful than the other two years: challenges, sacrifice, love, commitment, faith, and hope.  I guess adversity helps our souls grow. The mountain tops feels good but it is in the valleys that our character is being built. This gives me the push I need to document our lives authentically, good times and the not so good times.


And that my friends, is my completed album. I have included some links to the supplies I used at the bottom of this post just in case you might like to create something similar for yourselves.  

Till next time


Elizabeth





      
HoneyMoon 12"X 12" Portrait Collection
    
Maya Road Rectangular Kraft Envelopes

Portrait Collection Chipboard Accent Stickers
Restoration 6"X 6" Paper Pad


Accent Cuts Portrait Collection
Urban Chic Cling Mounted Tim Holtz Stamp

17 comments:

  1. Just beautiful! I am about to document my wedding using the same paper line. Thanks for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is so beautiful. It brought a tear of joy --

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the heartfelt comment on my blog post. I can tell I'd relate with a lot. Not only by what you said but also due to the fact we are both paper ADD! hehe.. That's why I have a hard time finishing projects. I get so BORED! Good for you for finishing and such a beautiful dedication to your husband and marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of this and how it entered your mind to make the book. It's funny how projects come to fruition sometimes, isn't it? Beautiful job, I love the papers and those envelopes have been calling my name for a bit now :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This album is beautiful! Thank you for sharing it!! I think paper ADD is very common....I have LOTS of unfinished mini's in a drawer in my craft room!! Again, your album is amazing and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. First - your album is absolutely GORGEOUS. I love it!! I'm sure it will be a treasured keepsake forever.

    Your hubby has an admirable attitude! Good for him - I'm sure it's what gives him that kick-butt attitude! I continue to keep him in my thoughts and prayers.

    It's obvious you two share a special love. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been checking your blog daily. So glad to see you back and that your hubby is doing better.

    You mini is not only beautiful, but so very special.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have just re-read your post and want to say how uplifting it is to see you both going through this difficult time. My family are experiencing something similar at the moment and the words that you have chosen are really poignant. Sending my best wishes to you and your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  9. An inspiring post. Love the reminder that it takes the bad times to appreciate the good. Hope many more good times are in the future for you and your husband!

    ReplyDelete
  10. that is so lovely..... I love your story too. Thanks for sharing miss liz. Prayers for you and your husband.

    That album is very sweet too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely post, a lovely tribute to your courageous man and the relationship you share, and a lovely keepsake to treasure. Thanks for sharing it all with us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a great post, and I think makes everyone who reads it think about themselves and the relationships that they have in their lives. Sending you a hug and positive thoughts. Thanks so much for sharing this, and such a lovely mini!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great mini-album. And, though we've not dealt with cancer, I can tell you that the hardest year of my marriage was the year that I had the most meaningful journaling and deepest memories. Amazing how the "hard" stuff does that to us, isn't it? I'm sure your husband treasures this album. And, good for you in sticking through your paper ADD. (I'm soooo the same way!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for sharing such a personal and, at least for year 3 of your marriage, what would be for most of us a difficult and scary time. You've created a beautiful album! God bless and may your husband recovery fully and quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for finding my blog and the sweet words you shared. I am glad I can be of any help as I know what a difficult road you are on. God bless you and give you the strength you need for each day.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Elizabeth! I came across your blog through the "Out & About" from The Moxie Fab World and I just loved your beautiful and inspiring mini album! May God bless you and your family! Take care!

    ReplyDelete